People are sick.

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by susiebk, Oct 27, 2015.

1. susiebk

susiebk New Member

2. ryta

ryta New Member

That is horrific and I hope they find who did it and why.

Also going to add my opinion if this found to be truly slaughter for horse meat or affiliated with that whole issue - it was warned that an all out ban on horse slaughter in the US could make it a wanted commodity in a black market.

3. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

Sorry, but incorrectamundo...

The black market FL horse slaughters were going on at the same time legal horse slaughter was alive and well in the US. Mostly, it's the Cuban and South American population that uses the meat. They couldn't buy it in a store then, either, as it was exported and not sold here.

4. ryta

ryta New Member

I would love to see an actual timeline real reported cases, not hearsay, of what is happening in Florida and if elsewhere, because the internet was around to circulate info well before 2009 and I am not finding cases of privately owned horses found butchered on their own property, escalating to something like this, butchering a well known show horse.

If you look at Florida, it really does appear to show a timeline of getting more brutal with criminal actions each time the laws were increased to make it more punishable and difficult.

Something like this reminds me of prohibition.

5. onmy87

And I would love to see where exactly you think these people bought horse meat when legal slaughterhouses were here, considering it was not sold in the US? The meat was packed up and shipped across the pond.

Prior to the recent laws, "backyard" slaughter was more prolific and horses were gotten for cheap on Craigslist and giveaway postings. We don't allow backyard slaughter of cattle, goats, sheep, etc here, so why allow it for horses?

Enforcement is certainly becoming more strict, and there is a group down there working to uncover these illegal slaughter sheds. I would hope that trend continues.

ETA, therefore, you are seeing more horses stolen and butchered for quick transport because it's getting a lot harder for them to slaughter and sell out of someone's backyard shed.

Comparing this illegal FL slaughter trend before and after thefts were common to US regulated slaughterhouses is apples and oranges.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  6. ryta

ryta New Member

A couple thoughts. Out of the crazy situations - the one thing I never feared as a horse owner was my horse being stolen and taken to DeKalb or a backyard for slaughter.

Yes, I have always heard stories but when you broke it down it involved nonpayment of board and horses where owners disappeared, and horses simply sold into slaughter for what little profit could be made versus debt of putting more money into them.

Yes I realize someone will popup a story from Net Posse, but the value of horse meat was around approx. $300-$600 it seemed for slaughter.

The biggest change by me is the spread of suburbia. That changes the landscape for horses, so while I do think care can appear to be improved, the grittier stuff can be pushed 50 + miles out ----and I have no idea what is happening in those areas and beyond.

As for Florida - I hope you are right and this is apples to oranges, but my gut is that I'm no so certain. Someone had to sell horses into those blackmarket slaughter houses where someone else seems to have found a price that really does seem to be way beyond $300-$600 a horse.

Hopefully the case will be solved because I'm leaning towards a pretty bold message versus accident. No way to know though, until it does get solved and released. All would be guessing.

Bottom line, I am concerned about copy cat and some jerkoff somewhere thinking hmmm.. horse meat is worth what?? Because horse meat used to have a specific value versus some mystery price.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  7. onmy87

Horse meat on the FL black market is around $7.00/lb, processed. So the Cuban and South American populations are going to the local guy to pay about the same price for their beloved horse meat as if they went to Jewel (or Publix) and paid for a pound of beef. It's about cultural preference for meat; they are also buying a lot of goat, which is more expensive in the store than from their local black market butcher.

This show-horse case is not a one-off, A LOT of horses have been found half butchered on or nearby barns in the past few years. I think of these cases as their way of "hunting". They find a barn without cameras, no one around and easy out for the horse. About a half hour and they have food to feed their family for a while or sell to their friends.

At the same time, there is a group down near Miami working with local animal controls to expose the backyard slaughter houses. Recently, three of them were raided and I had read about a few of them last year, too. Considering the economy the past few years, it's not hard to find a horse that is a giveaway or cheap on Craigslist, especially in Florida (who is even worse off economically than IL).

Yes, DeKalb was always a concern for stolen horses. I also have gotten the feeling that most of the immigrant cultures that settle this far north aren't as interested in horse meat as the ones that tend to settle down south. And frankly, if someone up here wanted horse meat for themselves, all it takes is a few hundred dollars at most and a quick search on Craigslist. I'll be honest, I think we have some black market slaughterhouses up here, too. I know of at least 2 specific barns on the radar because of their "Mexican Rodeos". I just think that because our economy is a bit better than FL, and cash jobs are easy to be had for immigrants here, there's no desperate need to go steal a horse out of a barn or make the cash off a quick sale.

I don't know if you are on COTH or not, but these killings in FL have been discussed a lot over there since many members are in FL. But again, it's two-fold; there's the issue of one horse being stolen and butchered close by, and the illegal sheds (horses, goats, cows, chickens, pigs) in people's backyards that are their "local meat men" in the Cuban and South American populations. In either scenario, the buyers are not people that drove to Dallas Crown or DeKalb to get their meat before...