For our western riders

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by equusteacher, Oct 15, 2008.

1. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Do you use a rear chinch?
    Why or why not?
    Do you prefer the skinny or wide ones?
    Why?
    How loose or tight do you set it if you do?

Where the hell can I find just the center part of the rear cinch?
    My saddle has really nice tooled rear billets. All I need is the part that attaches to those and goes under the belly.
    Can't seem to find one anywhere that isn't a fortune.

2. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

Nope never have used one . . . Willowwind Tack in Rockton can get you one i dunno about price though

3. sandburs

sandburs New Member

Don't use one, but you should be able to find one at any tack store, or they can get you one. But they are not cheap if you are looking for a good one. We used to use them when doing a lot of riding on hills and such, but don't get to those trail much anymore so we don't even bother. Never tight, but snug enough not to get a branch or anything caught under it, and ALWAYS make sure it is attached to the ring on the front cinch so it cannot slide back into the flanks. Some horses don't mind them, others hate them. I usually just take the rear billets off any saddle.

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

Yes.

Because it keeps the saddle from flipping up when going down a steep incline, or bucking fit. Plus I think they look cool.

Wide.

See cool comment :)

You do not want it snug, needs to fit loose, but not hang down.

I have many new back girth connectors in my basement. Drive down around Nov. 1st and get you one :p

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I've never used one either but most tack shops sell the cinch.

Never felt it was necessary, usually take it off the saddle when I get one with it on.
    A friend tells me she trains all of her horses to use a flank strap for trail riding, ??? don't know why except maybe it holds the saddle down. duhh

6. desederada

desederada New Member

Make sure the rear cinch is taken up enough that a horse can't stick a rear foot in it when kicking at a fly or swimming. Learned this when a friend of mine swam his pony across a stream and the pony rolled over on his side and started floating ;)

7. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I love you! :-*

I have used them in the past.
    My saddle now has the coolest tooled rear billets so I want to use one.
    I agree that they have helped save my ass durring a big bucking fit (not on Gem, on past horses)
    Not sure if I should go wide or skinny. I love the look of the wide but she's so short and round and I already use a wide roper mohair cinch.
    Hmmmmmmm.........

8. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Only when I was cutting or team penning with my cutting saddle.

Fit as BUC said, loose, but not hanging.

9. mrponies

mrponies New Member

Dummie western novice here...how does a back cinch help you in a bucking fit? (What are the mechanics of it?)

Thanks!

10. desederada

desederada New Member

Keeps the saddle from flipping up in the back and possibly(you and the saddle) going right over the horses head.

11. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

How loose? Maybe like 2-3 fingers distance?

Good theory for using one, how would I get my horse used to one though?

12. mrponies

mrponies New Member

Whoa! Thanks...wow, I've never seen that happen but that would be terribly scary!

13. sandburs

sandburs New Member

We kept ours one finger max because we rode through brush a lot and any looser and you can get a stick caught up and that is a very bad thing!! You just add one to your saddle, and lunge or walk around a lot and make sure you pull the back of the saddle up a few times so it actually touches them. Then they get used to it. If the first time it actually touches them is when you are leaning forward in the saddle, migh not be a good thing!

14. BUC

BUC Administrator

Round pen, lunge. Most accept them no problem as long as they are not snug and you have the front and back connected.

Fit them sort of like you would a dog collar. Make sure you can get a couple of fingers in there, flat, not 2 fingers as in hanging down an inch.

Seen it happen several times down in Shawnee going down the hills :)

15. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

yep what she said...

16. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

See you guys have taught me something new here- since I am starting to ride off the property (no trails yet) I am going to get myself one and work on getting sissy pants used to the feel of it before I go anywhere.
    :fluffb

17. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

if you round pen him or lunge him, especially over trot poles and such he'll get used to it quickly.

18. desederada

desederada New Member

AND if you have one of those synthetic western saddles it is even more likely to happen.

19. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

synthetic saddle--- yes

Breast collar--- yes

flank strap----- AS OF RIGHT NOW!

20. Kahli

Kahli New Member

Never used one, though they look good. Haven't been on the trails much and when I have, pretty flat land. Thank god my mare doesn't have the will to buck!