Featured Camping Trip Plans - Come on in, you know you wanna

Discussion in 'Happy Trails' started by cudabear, Jan 10, 2015.

1. cudabear

cudabear New Member

I know we've been discussing this other places but I'd like to get everyone that might be interested involved....

With all this cold miserable weather I want to think happy fun thoughts soooooooo,

Let's plan some camping trips!

May 15th -

June 25-27 - Kettle Moraine (north) HAS IT'S OWN THREAD NOW WITH INFO

July -

August 15 or 22 - pick a date for Matthiessen (a wine tasting trip was suggested this trip along with camping/riding)

September - Wolf Creek (Windsor, IL)

End Sep/Early Oct - Greensfelder

October - Franklin

Come on peeps, I want to camp this year....hell I want to just ride & riding alone just sucks big fat hairy toes!

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I haven't camped much, hell I haven't been to many parks just for a day ride. So people from all over the place throw your suggestions out there. No dates are set other that the May 30th weekend, we need some suggestion on dates too, what works for everyone else???

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

No...wait....Wasn't June for Giant City? Before it gets too hot?

3. kats

kats New Member

I think we said the 15th or 22nd of August for another trip and hopefully it won't be too hot

4. cudabear

cudabear New Member

That must have been after I left ???

that sounds good, I was wondering why we're heading south in the head of summer should be heading north ;)

5. Tbitt

Sarah,

When is "School" done for you? That very next weekend we should set the Giant City trip.

6. kats

kats New Member

There have been a lot of places and dates thrown out by people.....here is what some of the discussion was.....

Lori likes Rig River in Keithsburg - its like Sandridge and probably 3 hours or more pulling a trailer for most of you
    River Valley in Iowa - has cabins. I have heard the trails are bad because they do not close the trails when it rains
    Shimeck - you can supposedly ride from River Valley to Shimeck if the forest has the trails open. They have a lot of primitive camping.
    Natural Gate in Iowa - they have a cabin and I'm told nice riding, its across the river from Prairie Du chein WI.

7. kats

kats New Member

Giant City looks like a nice park, but I would need a really long weekend and probably a passenger because I'm showing 5 1/2 hours on Google Maps which puts me over 6 hours in a trailer

8. Tbitt

Ya it is about a 5.5 - 6 hr pull for us also!

The trails are easy. The park is nice and there are a lot of "things" to do in the area. We could even be lazy and go to the Lodge for dinner one night....or two... ;)

9. kats

kats New Member

Mondays off are not usually very workable for me. So I would want to head out Thursday at the latest for a long drive trip.

Pools said Endless Valley and that sounds good also

10. cudabear

cudabear New Member

I can't commit to early May, late September, or early October due to farming. With that said, as soon as we get in the fields I'll have a better idea of when fall "starts" for me.

I added Flea's October - Franklin request

Does anyone one have a preference to the others that were mentioned? Has anyone been to any of them or just heard feedback thru the grapevine?

11. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

The places that are easiest for me are Rock Cut, Matthissen, Franklin Creek. If we went to Endless Valley I could probably bring Teddy. Just throwing it out there.

12. Ms. Lolly

Ms. Lolly New Member

So for the one far away, I don't have more vacation until July so I can be in if it is AFTER the 4th of July.

In response to some of Katts stuff, here are 2 ideas. I think she missed the first one. I heard both are great but have not been to either.

La Riviere Park
    62048 Vineyard Coulee Road, southeast of Prairie du Chien, WI
    A 300 acre city park managed for it's natural beauty and wildlife. The park is a mix of hardwood forest, grasslands, and native prairie. Provides 6 miles of hiking trails, nature viewing, bird watching, cross-country skiing, 50+ miles of horse trails (miles include links to other trails), archery area, picnic area, shelter house, and primitive or horse camping. No reservations or fees required for the horse camp, but donations are accepted to the LaRiviere Riders, Inc. for electricity, campground, and trail maintenance. For horse trail conditions call (608) 734-3692[​IMG](608) 734-3692, (608) 412-0132[​IMG](608) 412-0132, or check the website at http://www.lariviereriders.com.

The Natural Gait
    1878 Mission Dr, Harpers Ferry, IA, (877) 776-2208[​IMG](877) 776-2208
    Miles of horse trails, accommodations for guests and thier horse. Horses NOT provided.
    [​IMG]

LaRiviere Riders - Trail Riding at it's Best - Prarie du Chien, WI
    LaRiviere Riders, Inc., Equestrian trail riding at...
    lariviereriders.com

13. Robnhollie

Robnhollie Member

There are a lot of dates and ideas on where to go out there..... When they are written in stone, post it on MHW, so that the old folks that don't have face book, can make plans. We like camping and riding with the (most of) the MWH people.... *!*!*!*

14. cudabear

cudabear New Member

this was just to get an idea of might word out. we all know how life is & "the best made plans" so my thoughts are to get a general idea of a plan then as it gets closer then try to hash it out with date particulars.

As of right now, the 2 May dates/places are set! Everything else is a tentative, i.e. roll with the weather ;D

15. Jen Boddy

Jen Boddy New Member

I absolutlely love La Riviere in Prairie Du Chien. Its donation based and has nice level campsites almost all electric sites. There are permanent tie lines or first come first serve corrals. Another favorite of mine is Wild Cat Mountain. Amazing riding up there. I do wish I could join you all in Giant City. Ill have just gotten back from Bear Branch in Shawnee. For anyone who hasn't ridden in that area it is a must.
    I'd like to join in on the May30th trip to Mathiessen.
    I can tell already it's going to a most excellent summer.

16. kats

kats New Member

Glad someone knew the name of the place in WI, I've driven thru there, but never ridden there. I hear its very nice, but we would need to contact as several times I've been at Yellow River (in Iowa across the river) the Praire Du Chein place was closed due to organized group activities or rides. Yellow River in Iowa is nice, but no electric. So Yellow River, Natural Gate and La Riviere are all in the same area.

17. cudabear

cudabear New Member

Looks like we have a few changes, which is why I wanted to get started on this planning so we have time to come up with other options.

Rob,
    It's been mentioned a few times, there is a place you'd like to try (or have gone too) down by St Louis area?

Would that fit into the May 15th option??

18. Robnhollie

Robnhollie Member

There are two more campgrounds that aren't posted here.

RiverValley
    29080 Hawk Drive,
    Farmington, Iowa 52626
    http://rivervalleyhorsecamp.com

We have been there back in 2010 (I think) and the campground is very nice. It has 50 campsites that include water and electric, fire pit, picnic table and one stall. They have their own trails, and they are close to the entrance of the Shimek state forest. They also have covered stalls, and a horse wash bay. They rent a bunk house that can sleep six in one giant room, and a one room cabin as well. On the way to their trails, they have an obstacle course to go thru on horse back, LOTS OF FUN!!!

I had pics of our time there... But I lost them for now. :(

Greensfelder Park (next to Six Flags)
    4515 Hencken Road
    Saint Louis, MO 63069
    http://stlouisco.com/ParksandRecreation/ParkPages/Greensfelder

I drove to this campground and it off the entrance to Six Flags of St Louis. It is a small park, but could hold our group. I could't find a lot of detail about the park on their website. I think there was 20 electric sites that were $20 and non electric $15 a night. They have a pavilion, flush toilets, showers, they have covered stalls which are open on the back. The land is rocky (horses probably need shoes) and VERY hilly. I have heard one of the trails goes close to the roller coasters at six flags..... :):):)

Attached Files:

19. Robnhollie

Robnhollie Member

Greensfelder Park is about 3 hours from Bloomington, IL and so is Rivervalley.

Greensfelder is the park we would like to go to this year( we have been to Rivervalley )... Maybe Late Sept. or Early October for Greensfelder ??

20. Tbitt

I 2nd this motion!